Saturday, September 12, 2009

Back to France

I just finished reading My Life in France by Julia Child this week. I loved it! I did not know anything Julia Child and I was pleasantly surprised to read about how she did not start cooking until later in life, mostly because she fell in love with France, the people, and the culture. Like I have mentioned, France is special to me too. My parents always had a picture of the Eiffel Tower hanging in their living room growing up, and we used to have crepes of breakfast on Saturday mornings. I couldn't wait to visit there one day and when I actually did get to go, I think I wished that I was French and could just walk around Paris all day, eat delicious food and just be a part that world! Having visited a few other places that I like just as much, I had almost forgotten my previous obsession with Paris, until I read this book.
One of the most memorable meals I had when in Paris, was at a creperie on the Left Bank. Like I said crepes were a regular meal in our house, but having them at an actual crepe restaurant in Paris was amazing! This morning, I realized I hadn't made crepes in at least a year. Time to pull out the crepe pan! I am not sure where the recipe came from, but this is the one my parents have made for years. Bon appetite!

Basic Crepe Batter
1 cup flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/3 tsp salt
2 tbsp butter, melted

Combine all ingredients and mix well with a wire whisk for 60 seconds.
Heat a oiled pan over medium heat and pour a thin layer of batter in the pan, tilting to evenly coat the pan. Cook for about 1-2 minutes and flip.
Fill with fruit, yogurt, whipped cream, nutella, peanut butter, or any other topping you prefer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails