Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Delicious Pumpkin Cookie Bars

I always feel better about dessert when I can find something healthy about it. Dark chocolate, for example. The rich, sweet yet bitter flavor with hints of cherry is my favorite treat and the best part is that it is full of disease fighting antioxidants. Two ounces per day is actually recommended by the American Heart Association! How great is that! (Well it is great for me because I love that stuff). The other day I was craving cookies. I originally was going to make regular chocolate-chip, but then I noticed I had a can of pumpkin still in my pantry. I have already made pumpkin bars and pumpkin bread this season but what about a pumpkin cookie? We have already talked about the health benefits of pumpkin, so I already felt good about this creation. While I was putting together the batter I decided I was too lazy to spend the time of actually making cookies, so I turned it into a pan of cookie bars. They were delicious and when I brought them to work my co-workers not only happily devoured them but also asked for the recipe. So, that is why this one is ending up here! You can of course make these into cookies if you would like. Enjoy!

Pumpkin Cookie Bars

1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached white flour
1 can pumpkin puree
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup Canola oil
1 egg
1 ½ cup oats
3/4 cup chopped dark chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate chips

Combine baking power, salt, and flours in a bowl and set aside. Cream together pumpkin, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon and oil. Add egg and mix until combined. Slowly add flour mixture until combined well. Stir in oats and then add chocolate. Spread into greased 8x8 inch glass pan. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes until browned and toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. When cooled, cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails