Saturday, August 21, 2010

Banana Oat Muffins

I love a warm bowl of hearty oatmeal for breakfast. I am not a microwaved oatmeal girl. I only like it cooked on the stove and I prefer oatmeal with some bite and chewiness. I am not a fan of oatmeal mush in the morning. I add almond butter, flax seed, dried blueberries, walnuts, and milk to my oatmeal- there is no other breakfast like it and it keeps me full all morning long. Lately I have been buying organic oats from the bulk bins at the grocery store. I am trying to buy more organic items when possible- if the price is is reasonable and it is an item we regularly consume like coffee, oats, etc. Well, several weeks ago I was in Target and I knew we were out of oats. I decided to just buy the store brand instead of having to go to another store for organic. Big mistake. The next day I made oatmeal like usual, but instead of the chewy bite I am used to, it was a pile of mush. You really couldn't see the individual oats, just a paste. I don't think these are old fashioned oats like the package claims.  So, I have been trying to make oat recipes to use these up so I can go buy more of the good oats! 

I made Aaron's favorite cookies which use 3 cups of oats- hurray! I like to make a batch of cookie dough, cook off a dozen or so and then freeze the rest in 2 cup servings. That way I can pull out some dough anytime and the 2 cup portion usually produces about 12 cookies. We don't need too many cookies at one time at this house or we will eat them! 

I also decided to try more muffins. Muffins have been a quick breakfast around here, so I just keep experimenting with more recipes.  These banana-oat muffins turned out to be super moist and flavorful. They would also be great with walnuts or chocolate chips. Perfect for breakfast, after school snack, or bedtime I think you will enjoy them too! I adapted them from another blog which used oat bran flour. If you have oat bran flour, then try that recipe. I don't have that type of flour at home and I prefer recipes that don't send me running to the store, so I adapted the recipe for what I had on hand. Enjoy!



Banana Oat Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins plus one mini loaf pan
Bake: in 375ºF oven for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean

  2 cups  rolled oats
1/2 cup yogurt, plain low fat
1/2 cup milk, low fat
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup Canola or vegetable oil
2 bananas, large, ripe, mashed
1 egg, large, lightly beaten
1  cup whole wheat flour

1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1/4 cup chopped walnuts or mini-chocolate chips (optional)


Instructions
1. In a bowl mix together rolled oats, yogurt and milk. Let soak for several minutes.

2. Mix  flour, flax, salt, spices, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl.
3. Add brown sugar, mashed banana, egg and oil to rolled oats mixture. Mix well.
4. Add dry ingredients to the rolled oats mixture. Mix well.Add nuts or chocolate if using. 

5. Fill greased or paper lined muffin cups 2/3 full.  Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails