Sunday, November 21, 2010

Roasted Brussels Sprouts

I have to admit that my first exposure to Brussels sprouts was only this year. I am overall a pretty adventurous eater,  and I am always trying to find new vegetables to try. It is unfortunate that I have been missing Brussels sprouts the past 27 years of life. I feel like Brussels sprouts have a very bad reputation and therefore I never have had any desire to try them, I wasn't sure how to cook them, and I never really see them on the menu at a restaurant. They are always depicted on TV as the food every kid hates and is forced to eat. I think I have seen them at a buffet- mushy, brown and smelling like cabbage.  A few months ago though,  Aaron gave me a recipe for roasted Brussels sprouts that he found in Men's Heath, which in itself was amazing, so I decided to try them. The result was so delicious that we have been having them at least once per week over the past several months! This recipe makes the sprouts crispy and caramelized and the bacon adds a smoky saltiness that can't be beat. Aaron likes them so much that he requested I make them for my family this Thanksgiving. Hopefully they will be as much of a hit with all of them as they have been for us.
Last night I was watching The Pioneer Woman on Thanksgiving Throwdown with Bobby Flay (which had some great Thanksgiving recipes). Bobby Flay made a fabulous sounding Brussels sprouts recipe (Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Pomegranate and Vanilla-Pecan Butter) that looked worth trying if you can find pomegranate molasses.  Also, if you have not heard of The Pioneer Woman- Ree Drummond, then go to her website and read her story. It is good enough to be a movie I think. She is a home cook who now has a best selling cook book and a great blog.
Another Brussels sprouts recipe I want to try is from Shauna at Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef if you are interested! It is a Brussels sprouts salad with a tangy dressing- sounds delicious!
Enjoy!

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Adapted from Men's Health
Serves 2-4 depending on how much you love these!

1 pound fresh  Brussels sprouts
2 slices uncured bacon
1 tbsp butter (optional)

1. Preheat to 425 degrees
2. Trim off the woody ends of the sprouts and then slice in half lengthwise.
3. Cut the bacon into small pieces and cook in a cast-iron skillet (or other ovenproof skillet) over medium heat until crispy. With a spoon transfer bacon pieces to a paper-towel-lined plate.
4. Drain most of the fat from the pan. Add the sprouts, cut side down and sear until the sprouts begin to sizzle- about 3-5 minutes.
5. Put the skillet into the oven and roast for about 10-12 minutes or until browned.Pull the pan from the oven and flip over the sprouts. Return to oven and roast for another 8-10 minutes.
6. Return pan to stove, add bacon and butter (if desired). Place in bowl and serve with your favorite meat, poultry, or fish.

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog ... the Brussel sprouts looks yummy. We are having them for Thanksgiving. Best from Billings!

    Dayle

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails