Sunday, December 5, 2010

Aebleskivers


I love Saturday mornings and I especially love making breakfast. Even before I was married, I would usually make French toast or a couple of pancakes with eggs for just myself on Saturdays. Now, I have a husband who also loves breakfast, so it is fun for me to whip up something warm and delicious for us. This week I decided on aebleskivers, in honor of Applecup and because I happened to have some left over buttermilk.

What are aebleskivers you ask? I was first introduced to these little pancake like balls in college. The best place in Pullman, WA for breakfast is by far Old European. I don't know if the interior has been updated, but when I was in college, walking into Old European was like walking into your or your friend's grandmother's house. There was flowery wallpaper, fake flower centerpieces, and mis-matched chairs. For breakfast they serve fresh squeezed orange juice, Hungarian goulash, potato pancakes, Scandinavian crepes, omelets, hotcakes, and aebleskivers.

 Everything there is good, although I can't say that from my own experience because I always ordered an omelet and aebleskivers. The aebleskivers were sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with applesauce or syrup. I have loved pancakes since I was a little girl, so these were a great new way to enjoy pancakes in my opinion. These Danish pancakes are made in a special pan with indentations to make them the shape of a sphere. Before I left WSU, I made sure to purchase an aebleskiver pan at a local hardware store so that I could continue to make these delicious treats. They are a little time consuming due to whipping of egg whites and then having to flip over the pancakes with a toothpick, but it is definitely worth it. Over the past few years I have been making these for breakfast around Christmas, which is when they were traditionally made.  If you ever come across an aebleskiver pan, don't be afraid to try these out! Enjoy!

Aebleskivers
(actually the recipe that came with the pan says "Great Grandma's Danish Aebleskiver")
Serves 3 or about 20 aebleskivers
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs separated

1. Combine flour, salt and baking soda. Add buttermilk and egg yolks.
2. Beat egg whites until light and fluffy and soft peaks begin to form. Fold egg whites into batter
3. Heat pan on medium heat. Spray each cup with non-stick spray
4. Using a mini scoop, fill each cup about 2/3 full and cook for about 1 1/2 minutes or until bottom is golden brown. Flip by using a toothpick and cook for about 1/2 to 1 minute longer. Sprinkle with powered sugar and serve warm.
Serve with side of applesauce, syrup or Aaron's favorite- Nutella

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails