Friday, December 17, 2010

My Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies

Disclaimer: these cookies are not "healthy." I did not make any changes or scheme on how I could lower the fat, sugar or calories. These are simply cookies and probably the best ones you will ever make. "Why the best?" you ask? These cookies stay soft, chewy and moist for days after baking. I think my mom found this recipe years ago in a magazine and they have been a staple of the Bukowski household ever since. I actually grew up thinking that all cookies tasted like this- soft and chewy- until one of our babysitters asked my mom for the recipe. I was shocked that she would want it. I thought, "Doesn't she know how to make chocolate chip cookies???" I thought she was smart and cool, but apparently not if she didn't know how to make cookies! Over the years, my mom and I have both been asked for this recipe countless times. It is our go-to cookie recipe and I think if you try them you will be pleasantly surprised.

What makes these cookies so soft for days? Well, it is the secret ingredient. Shhh. Don't tell anyone, but it is. . . . . . .drum roll please. . . . . . . . . instant pudding mix. Simply add vanilla pudding mix to regular chocolate chip cookies, or add chocolate for chocolate chocolate chip cookies and your cookie will stay soft and moist. I think my grandma has also tried white chocolate pudding mix with these too. Delicious! My dad prefers his chocolate chip cookies to be traditional with semi sweet chocolate chips. But, mint, white chocolate, or butterscotch would be great too. My favorite is M&Ms.

 When I would come home after being at college my mom would usually have these cookies with M&Ms waiting for me. The other benefit of using M&Ms is that you have a festive cookie for every season and holiday.  These may actually be the only Christmas cookies I have time to make this year and that's ok because chocolate chip cookies (or M&M cookies) are always a delicious treat. Enjoy!
Mom's Chocolate Chip Cookies
Makes about 4 dozen cookies

1 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1 package instant vanilla pudding
1 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 c all purpose flour
1 package of chocolate chips or M&Ms

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. Combine butter, sugars, vanilla, pudding and beat until smooth and creamy.
3. Beat in eggs. Gradually add flour and baking soda mix until combined
4. Stir in chips or candies
5. Spoon rounded teaspoons onto parchment lined baking sheets and bake for about 9-12 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails