Monday, March 14, 2011

Meatless Monday- Southwest Lasagna



This was one of my favorite dishes to made before I got married and I don't know why I seemed to have forgotten about it over this past year. My brother asked me for the recipe a few weeks ago and so then after a year's hiatus I made it again too. I forgotten how much delicious flavor is packed into one bite of this dish! This is a very healthy meal full of fiber and with all of the flavors, I promise you won't miss the meat. Don't let the spinach in this turn you off- the cilantro mixed with it adds a freshness and brightness to the dish.  I personally love this for lunch. It is very easy to make and freezes really well too. Both my brother and Aaron love this lasagna and I plan to add it back to my usual recipe repertoire. Enjoy!



Southwest Lasagna

4-6 6in tortillas or 2-4 12in tortillas (I use La Tortilla Factory Smart & Delicious or Mission Carb Balance)
1 16oz jar of your favorite salsa
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
1 16oz can black beans, drained
1/2 bag of frozen corn
1 bunch fresh cilantro
1 package frozen spinach, thawed and water squeezed out
2 green onions (scallions), cut into 2 inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/3 cup light sour cream

1. In a food processor, process spinach, handful of cilantro, garlic cloves, green onions and sour cream until smooth
2. Spray the bottom of an 8x8 inch pan with non stick cooking spray. Layer half of the tortillas on the bottom of the pan. You will have to tear some in half to cover the pan. 
3.  Spread half of the spinach mixture on top of the tortillas. Top with half of the beans, corn, and salsa. Repeat layers and top with cheese.*
4. Bake in 375 degree oven until bubbling ~30 minutes. 

*This can also be made ahead and kept in the refrigerator until ready to bake.  Baking time may take 30-45 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails