Thursday, August 16, 2012

Zucchini Stacks

Are you into Pinterest? I am a little and looked there other day for zucchini ideas as I am experiencing a little zucchini glut. Zucchini's have been coming in our farm box for at least 4 weeks and I needed something new. I have already been making bread and muffins. I have made zucchini gratin 3 times because I love it so much (I combine Splendid Table with Smitten Kitchen). I have been having zucchini omelets with feta cheese, roasted zucchini, sauteed zucchini and still there is more this week.
Most of what I found on Pinterest was breads and muffins and a few fried zucchini recipes , but I did see a picture of some zucchini rounds covered in bread crumbs and baked. For some reason seeing that picture gave me the idea for stacks. I had one larger zucchini so I cut it into rounds, added some red pepper and some slices of tomato, roasted them, topped them with cheese and broiled. End result was delicious and because of the ingredients, seasoning and cheese it reminded me a little of pizza with out the crust. Perfect as an appetizer or as a side. Enjoy!

 Zucchini Stacks

6 rounds zucchini
6 slices red bell pepper
6 slices of tomato
olive oil
kosher salt
pepper
fresh thyme (2 tbsp)
fresh basil (handful)
6 slices from a ball of mozzarella cheese (I'm sure other cheeses would be great too)

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees. Place zucchini, peppers, and tomatoes on a baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme
2. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove tomato slices and flip over zucchini and peppers. Roast for another 8-10 minutes or until starting to brown. Remove from oven
3. Turn on broiler in the oven. Top each zucchini round with a slice of pepper and tomato. Top with cheese and return to oven. Allow to broil for about 2-4 minutes or until cheese is melted and starting to brown.
4. Serve topped with fresh basil

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails