Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Radishes

I have made it one of my goals to try out radishes this year. I really can't say that I have ever even tasted them besides a little slice on a salad occasionally. They are such a happy looking vegetable after all of the of the potatoes and squash of the winter months. I am planning on planting some in my garden this month, so there will be some experimenting ahead. What caused me to buy some this week however, what this post - roasted radishes! As you can see here, here and here, I love roasted vegetables. I can not get enough of them and roasting is always my go to method for cooking vegetables.

 It would never have occurred to me to roast a radish and I enjoy discovering new vegetables, so tonight was the night for roasted radish. I combined them with other vegetables that I had in the fridge. I usually roast vegetables simply with just olive oil, salt and pepper. The radishes that I had bought actually did not have much of a strong flavor and combined nicely with the asparagus and broccoli. Some thinly sliced shallot or onion would have been great roasted along with everything else. Garlic and thyme would also have been nice and I will probably add those next time. I love the color that the radishes added to the vegetable medley and I will not hesitate to add these to my roasting repertoire.  Enjoy!

Roasted Radish Medley
bunch of radishes, cut into quarters
asparagus cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
broccoli florets
olive oil
salt
pepper
1-2 thinly sliced shallot (optional)
1-2 cloves garlic, chopped (optional)
1 tsp dried thyme or 2-3 tsp chopped, fresh thyme (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2. Lay all vegetables on a sheet pan (include garlic and shallot if using)
3. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt, pepper. Mix together to combine and evenly coat
4. Roast in the oven for 10 minutes and then redistribute vegetables with a spatula. Roast for another 5-10 minutes until caramelized and browned

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails